Thursday, May 19, 2016

Anne Boleyn Was Executed On This Day in 1536

Today I'm thinking of Queen Anne Boleyn, whose life was cut short by an awful miscarriage of justice on this day in 1536 when she was executed at the Tower of London. She had been condemned to death for high treason after having been found guilty of adultery, incest and conspiring to kill her husband, King Henry VIII.
Her little girl Princess Elizabeth was left motherless.
The most memorable and convincing portrayal of Anne I've ever seen was in the movie "Anne of the Thousand Days" -- Genevieve Bujold gave a stunning performance. I first saw it in the movies when I was 12, and saw it many times since then. I'm not so sure Richard Burton was the most convincing Henry VIII--I was too hung up on him in the play "Camelot" as King Arthur.
If you're an Anne buff, you'll enjoy The Anne Boleyn Files a website with everything you want to know about Anne, forums, lists of Anne books, Anne merchandise...and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow