Thursday, April 28, 2016

SOPHIA HAWTHORNE, NATHANIEL'S WIFE AND MUCH MORE

I finally chose the subject of my next bio novel, and she lived almost in my backyard--Nathaniel Hawthorne's wife Sophia. Aside from being the wife of one of the most famous writers of his time, she was a gifted artist and a strong woman who overcame a physical handicap (migraines, from ingesting mercury as a child). She and Nathaniel also have connections to several people involved with the 1692 Salem witch hysteria and trials, which I'm happy to include in the story. I've read a stack of books on Sophia and Nathaniel, and re-read his books and stories that I read in school, a delight to relive them.
If you'd like to meet Sophia, one of the best biographies is
Sophia Peabody Hawthorne, a Life by Patricia Valenti


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow